“…thank you for everything you've done for me. You opened up opportunities for me and gave me a hand, when I thought nobody cared.” CARE Student, Class of 2015
- Individuals and families who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes a subset for an individual who is existing in an institution where he or she resided for 90 days or less and those who have resided in an emergency shelter or a place not meant for human habitation immediately before entering that institution;
- Individuals and families who will imminently lose their primary nighttime residence and have proof of an eviction notice;
- Unaccompanied individual and families defined as homeless based upon the McKinney-Vento
Act. The McKinney-Vento Act defines homelessness as:
- Sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (also referred to “doubled up” or “couch surfing”)
- Living in substandard housing such as motels, hotels, trailer parks or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations
- Living in emergency or transitional shelters
- Abandoned in hospitals
- Awaiting stable foster care placement or;
- Individuals and families who are fleeing, or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or other dangerous or life-threatening conditions that relate to violence against the individual or a family member.
Future Owls - This program is designed for those who desire to come to KSU and qualify for the CARE Services service. The CARE Services works with students as they decide, apply, and matriculate into KSU and then continue providing supportive care once enrolled.
Additional Off-Campus Resources
The Homelessness Awareness 20/4/1 Endowed Scholarship was established to provide assistance to make a positive difference in the life of one individual who is homeless or has been homeless at one time in their life. Undergraduate students must be enrolled full or part time, degree seeking, minimum GPA of 2.6 and have financial need verified by the Fi- nancial Aid office.
Dr. Bruce Thomason Memorial Scholarship The Dr. Bruce Thomason Memorial Scholarship to memorialize Dr. Bruce Thomason and provide assistance to full time or part time undergraduate students with a minimum GPA of 2.50 who receive services from the C.A.R.E Center.
Andre Schnabl and Denny Marcus Endowed Scholarship is to provide financial support to students enrolled at Kennesaw State University who receive services from the Campus Awareness Resource & Empowerment (CARE) Center.